10 Best Puppy Food In India 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. At no extra cost to you, we may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate PetScooby earns from qualifying purchases.
Just got yourself a cute puppy and can’t get over it already?? Well, we all know that puppies are great serotonin boosters. That’s why they are precious and we should take care of them. Especially their health & of course you must feed your dog with Best puppy food in India.
So, keeping your pup healthy must be your top priority. Just like humans, pets also requires proper nutrition from the food.
If puppies don’t get the right puppy food they might fall sick with diseases like hip dysplacia.
Hence, you must ensure that you are feeding the right dog food according to the multiple factors such as dog breed, size and features.
Let’s look at best puppy food brands in india.
10 Best Puppy Food In India – Detailed & Unbiased Review
1. Orijen Puppy Large Dog Food
Orijen is a superior brand of dog food which is manufactured by champion petfood. It has a reputation of providing high quality ingredients that promises to fulfill all the requirements of your tiny tail wagger. The one thing that makes this brand stand out is it’s guarantee to use original fresh ingredients instead of cheap by-products.
Orijen puppy large dry dog food contains 85% meat | 15% fruits & vegetables
To fulfill the protein requirement it comprises of 38% richly nourishing protein, and a limited 20% low-glycemic carbohydrates. Also enriched with fresh free -run chicken and turkey, nest-laid eggs and wild- caught fish.
Since Orijen dog food believes that dogs are mostly carnivorous animals, special emphasis is made on providing real meat.
The 6 kg pack is designed especially for weight management purpose.
- High quality ingredients: It is very important to meet the essentials nutritional needs in your dog. The high protein composition helps your little kiddo to stay active and fight diseases that may occur due to protein deficiency at young age.
- Biologically appropriate: What does it mean? “The biologically appropriate concept is simple: mirror the quantity, freshness, and variety of meat that nature evolved dogs and cats eat.” It means it provides ingredients which is naturally safe for our dog’s consumption.
- Cures ailments: Since it’s comprised of a good portion of protein it can help in treatment and prevention of certain joint problems that may occur in future.
- Satisfied customers all around the globe: Orijen has earned many awards and name because of the queen brand that it is. Customers have nothing but appreciation for this product.
- Meets AAFCO standards: Not only meets Orijen puppy food offers more than what is expected.
- Not suitable for sedentary puppies: The raw ingredients and high protein content might not suit inactive puppies and may cause indigestion and other stomach issues.
- Expensive: This purple fancy box can be an aggressive attack on your budget considering it’s high price!
2. PURINA SUPERCOAT Puppy Dry Dog Food
This yet another popular brand requires no introduction. Purina SUPERCOAT is known to hold number 1 position in Australia, and It is voted as Product of the Year 2021 in Petfoods.
Purina supercoat is manufactured by popular company Nestle which is known to produce pet food, treats and cat litter.
SUPERCOAT Puppy is specially designed to meet the nutritional requirements of growing puppy. So if you have a pup at home, you can give this product a fair chance.
Ingredients of supercoat are mainly Cereals and Cereal products (Wheat, Rice bran, Corn), Chicken & Chicken products, Chicken oil and Hydrolyzed chicken protein, Vitamins and Minerals, Invert syrup, Soluble fibre, Dehydrated fish protein and Milk solids.
The protein to fat ratio looks like 26:12
- Foster growth and overall development: it contains chicken, protein, vitamins and minerals beneficial for puppies at this young age.
- Healthy shiny coat: As the name suggest Purina supercoat will provide your puppy a healthier and shiner coat that they truly deserve. Don’t forget nothing tells about your doggo’s health better than their dense shiny coat.
- No compromises in taste: The rich savour acts as a bonus. Your doggo will keep asking for more that’s a guarantee.
- Follows AAFCO guidelines: Purina supercoat puppy is 100% safe for your pooch.
- Contains fillers: This specific brand contains grains like wheat and corn which mostly serves less nutritional purpose.
- Good but not the best: Purina supercoat is often recommended and well received by dogs, but if we investigate the ingredients, it’s not a brand worth hoarding over. Many times we see brands like Nestle associated with a dog food and we put our faith into it without further research. The best advice in this case would be: if it suits your dog then great, otherwise there are tons of better options.
3. Hill’s Science Diet Canine Puppy
This another brand is the heart of all puppy food. Hill’s Science Diet offers biology-based nutrition which has undergone through a lot of scientific research. It provides nutrition to dogs of all breeds and all sizes.
The magic lies in how hill’s analyses each product’s ingredient profile to ensure pets get the precise formulation they need. Therefore, aiming at providing the best ingredients to your dogs and caring for their wellbeing.
If you’re looking for dog food that meets the requirements of your puppy and also wants to support a good cause, this is the brand you should be inclined to.
Hill science diet puppy large dog food is recommended for large breed puppies up to 1 year old that will be over 25 kgs when fully grown.
If we talk about its ingredients, Hills science diet is a grain inclusive dog food containing– whole grain wheat, whole grain corn, whole grain oats, whole grain sorghum, corn gluten meal. The protein dose is fulfilled by
chicken meal, chicken fat, chicken liver flavor, flaxseed, dried beet pulp, pork liver flavor, fish and so on.
- Nutrional benefit: Science diet contains a balance of minerals for strong bones & teeth, DHA from fish oil for healthy brain & eye development and high quality protein for building lean muscles in a growing dog.
- Follows AAFCO guidelines: The meal is prepared considering the guidelines given by Aafco, therefore, is safe and recommended by most vets.
- Designed for a specific purpose: The fog meal was especially designed to address certain nutritional deficiencies, specifically those often found in dogs suffering from renal failure. The food suits the best to puppies who are suffering from some specific ailments, and does not focuses on the needs of a healthy dog.
- Cheap fillers: The food is filled with fillers like corn which serves no nutritional benefits. Many dogs can be allergic to corns and it could even make them sick at stomach. Don’t let the “science diet” concept make you believe otherwise.
4. IAMS Proactive Health Smart Puppy Large Breed Dogs
Another highly recommend brand that has made to this list is IAMS. The IAMS company was founded by a businessman and a self-taught animal nutritionist, Paul Iams, in 1949.
The company identifies itself as a global brand and their formula works on the principal that every dog is unique.
The ingredients picked in this formula are approved only after an intense research done by the Waltham Centre for Pet Nutrition, hence is safe for your tiny pups.
IAM puppy food is suitable for Small & Medium Breed puppies like Lhasa Apso, Pug, Beagle, Indian Pomeranian etc.
The ingredients reads itself as as: chicken, corn meal, chicken by product, palatant, dried beet pulp, chicken fat, fish oil, dried egg product.
The nutrition composition can pe put as: 28.5% Protein, 17% Fat, 4% Fiber, 12% Moisture, 8% Ash.
- Attractive nutritional profile: one cannot doubt the self sufficiency of the product as it provides enough to fulfill the needs of puppies– Calcium and phosphorus for strong bones, probiotics for healthy gut and Vitamin E for natural defense.
- Vet recommended: Many customers yearns to hear this so let me say this aloud: IAMS is vet approved!
- Few controversial ingredients: The meal is rich in corn meal and whole grain wheat. Grains enriched meals isn’t necessarily dangerous for your pets only if they don’t go overboard with it. Another controversial ingredient used in here is dried beat pulp which is often used as a sugar filler and is expected to cause weight gain.
5. Farmina N&D Grain Free Pumpkin Lamb and Blueberry Puppy Food
Farmina N&D, an Italian brand is another option you will come across while going through the top recommend dog food list. The company was founded in … believes that “good food comes from good ingredients” They claim to select only the best raw materials and treat them using technologies that will maintain their nutritional value.
This specific brand is a grain free food with high animal ingredients, pumpkin, and Vegetables. N&D pumpkin products are well integrated with fruits and vegetables such as pomegranate.
The ingredients consists of chicken, pumpkin, fruit, vegetables.
The key factor about it is the moderation with which Farmina food is made; with correct amounts of protein, fats, limited carbohydrates and advanced long life vitamins and minerals.
96% protein is from animal origin. That’s another positive key point to look into.
The nutritional composition is said to be: 70% animal products and 30% vegetables and fruits.
- High nutritional value: The package is high on pumpkin which are a great source of antioxidants. The ingredients ratio 70% animal products and 30% veggies/ fruits means no compromise in your pup’s protein requirement.
- Contains no fillers: It’s a grain free product hence is free of any kind of cheap fillers like corn. Apart from that Farmina claims that it’s product have zero added preservatives!
- Approved by AAFCO: The product is manufactured by Italian dog lovers therefore none of it’s ingredients is disagreeable and easily passes the guidelines laid by AAFCO.
6. Arden Grange Elizabeth Junior Puppy Large Breed Chicken and Rice Dog Food
This British company that has been producing super premium pet foods since 1996. Arden Grange, is one of the highly talked brands waiting at your disposal. All their diets are naturally hypoallergenic i.e. not likely to cause an allergic reaction, as their recipes does not include wheat gluten, soya, beef, dairy products, artificial colours, flavours or preservatives.
The endearing slogan nutrition without compromise is known to be their motive behind all their formula and that’s why has successfully captured the hearts of several dog parents!
if you’re curious about the ingredients, it looks like as follows:
Chicken (chicken meat meal 30%, fresh chicken 5%), rice (19%), maize, refined chicken oil, beet pulp, chicken digest, krill, minerals, yeast, whole dried egg, whole linseed. prebiotic FOS, prebiotic MOS, glucosamine (370 mg/kg), MSM (370mg/kg), chondroitin (260mg/kg), yucca extract, cranberries, nucleotides.
The meal is a great option for large breed puppies from 8 weeks and above.
- Promotes healthy weight gain: It contains frozen and high grade meat rich in protein which helps your pup in slow and steady growth.
- Highly palatable: This tasty meal comes in small kibbles which makes it easier for consumption even for very picky eaters.
- Health benefits: Contains nucleotides which promotes good dental hygiene and enriched with prebiotic which stimulates the good bacteria in the gut and aids in digestion.
- Is AAFCO certified: Arden Grange puppy easily passes the AAFCO guidelines thus is worthy your trust and money.
If you’re confused, tired of reading another dog food articles and still have not reached to any conclusion, do yourself a favor and go with Arden Grange.
- Pungent smell: The product has a strong smell that has been reported by many consumer. Many dogs are not a fan of meals with an odd odor.
7. Royal Canin Maxi Junior/Puppy
This particular product happens to be the heart of all dog foods. Founded by Jean Cathery in 1968, Royal canine is one of the renowned dog food company which can be easily counted on our fingers tips with other popular reputed brands.
Royal Canin is known to manufacture and supply both cat and dog food and export it to the international market. The company also undertakes research into the formulation and testing of breed and symptom specific nutritional requirements of dogs and cats.
Royal canin mainly takes care of the dietary requirements of pets based on their breed, size, lifestyle as well as age.
ROYAL CANIN Maxi Puppy food is suitable for large dogs with adult weight from 26 to 44 kg. From 2 to 15 months old.
Rice,dehydrated poultry protein, dehydrated pork protein, maize flour, animal fats, hydrolysed animal proteins, maize gluten, maize, minerals, beet pulp, vegetable fibres, vegetable protein isolate, soya oil, fish oil, yeast are some of the ingredients which defines the product
- Rich quality of ingredients: Royal Canin uses dehydrated poultry protein and states that treating the meat in this way actually boosts the overall protein content, since there is less water in the food when compared to feeding fresh. . This suggests that Royal Canin is a very high quality food.
- Nutritional benefits: it provides the right diet which is required to support large built dogs and help them gain and maintain a healthy weight.
- Easily digestible: The meal comes in the form of small kibbles which goes easy on your pup’s digestive system.
- Strong package: it comes with an easy open zip system and a strong superior cover which many top leading brands fails to offer sometimes.
- Recommended by vets: It follows the AAFCO guidelines which means the meal is safe for consumption. Your dog’s favourite vet will 100% approve this product!
- Contains fillers and by-products: The one thing that steals the whole “Royal” brand appeal from Royal Canin is it’s cheap fillers. If this could have been avoided, it would have managed to get five stars. Not only that, the protein content is low than many other upcoming brands. Keeping all that in mind, it’s highly suggested to not keep royal canin as your only option.
8. Pedigree Puppy Dry Dog Food, Meat & Milk
I bet even if you are not a dog owner you must have heard about this brand atleast once, and that defines the kind of brand power that Pedigree holds.
Pedigree Petfoods is a subsidiary of the American group Mars inc. specialized in pet food. It claims to work hard to develop products that helps dog to live happily, withholding their vision “To make A Better World for Pets” as the core of everything they indulge in.
Pedigree puppy food is an ideal product for Pugs, Beagle to Labrador, Golden Retriever & German shepherd
Few Ingredients which constitute this dog friendly meal are as follows:
Cereals and cereal by-products, meat and meat by-products; chicken and chicken by-products, vegetables and vegetable by-products, vegetable oils, milk powder, iodised salt, essential vitamins and minerals, permitted preservatives, antioxidants and flavours. Contains no beef or pork.
Composition looks like 24% crude Protein, 10% crude Fat, 5% crude Fibre.
- Health benefits: It provides strong muscles, bones & teeth and a shinier healthy dog ensures optimal digestion of nutrients and supports natural defences. Pedigree guarantees to provide your woof the 5 Signs of Good Health! A remarkable feature worth your attention.
- Popular: Pedigree rules the Indian market. Hats off to the advertising and marketing team for making this dog food a well known and one of the most used dog food in India.
- Budget efficient: A balanced meal within a balanced price.
- AAFCO approved: is healthy and safe for feeding your pet.
- Just another brand: Unfortunately, with so many great products available in market it’s not often recommended and have a reputation of using low quality ingredients. It is considered inferior to products like Royal Canin, even Drools.
There is nothing wrong if you want to buy pedigree as it is mentioned plenty of us are already using it contently.
But it’s definitely not the best brand we have it here. Maybe, explore more?
9. Drools Chicken and Egg Puppy Dog Food
After pedigree, another dog food brand which has set it foot firmly in the Indian market is Drools. Drools is an Indian non-govt company, incorporated on 21 Sep, 2010. They are known to manufacture both cat and dog meals.
Drool puppy food is an attempt from this desi company to create a formula which can fulfill the daily requirements of a growing puppy.
If we draw a comparison between pedigree and drools , Drools is found to be superior than pedigree in terms of ingredients, protein and fat. The the ingredients includes:
Chicken, whole dried eggs, corn, rice, wheat, corn gluten meal, fish oil, soya refined, corn oil, lecithin, essential amino acid, minerals, vitamins, salt, natural antioxidants, prebioics and probiotics.
This 3kg puppy food is suitable for all breeds.
Nutrition composition shown as: Protein 26 % , Fat 12 %
- The role in nutrition: Drools plays a good part in providing a balanced meal which your tail wagger needs to maintain healthy vision and joints at initial stages. It also contains antioxidants that neutralizes the effects of chronic inflammation, which is a feature of a wide variety of health problems in animals.
- Popular: it is equally popular to pedigree, only more nutritious. Many dog parents are already feeding drools to their pups without any complaint.
- Wouldn’t cost your life: Drools is both dog friendly and pocket friendly meal.
- Meh, not very impressive: It is safe. It is healthy. It is popular. Still it’s a brand which you should opt for when you have nothing else on your table. There are better products if price is not a deal breaker for you.
10. Chappi Puppy Dry Dog Food, Chicken & Milk
Chappi is another dog food which has its own appeal among common masses. Chappi is owned by Mars inc. It is developed by vet and nutritionist at Waltham Centre which is world’s leading authority on pet care and nutrition. Chappi is a well known dog food brand with it’s popularity no less than pedigree or drools.
Chappi is a complete balanced food for adult dogs. It is very much suitable for all breeds including Pugs, Beagles, Golden Retriever, German Shepherd.
The product contains cereals, cereal by products, chicken, chicken by-products, soyabean, meat, meat by-products, Di calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, iodized salt, soya oil, choline chloride, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, zinc sulphate, permitted preservatives and flavours.
The nutritional composition looks like: crude protein 20%, crude fat 8%, crude fibre 5%
- Health benefits: This formula is a balance of protein and fibre which is essential for muscles growth in young pups and for their digestive system as well.
- Easy on pocket: Chappi is a go to product for dog owners who are looking for a balanced meal within an affordable price.
- Induces weight gain: It contains a low amount of proteins and generally a lot of carbohydrates which can make your dog fat. So, it’s important to keep your a tab on your dog’s activity while you feed this meal.
- Quite average: Chappi isn’t a brand which is recommended as a first choice unless you are tight on your budget. The product is considered cheap because of the by -products it uses. Hence, is mainly used in donations or to feed stray dogs.
Just another replica of drools and pedigree.
Best Puppy Food Brand For Labrador Puppy
ROYAL CANIN FOR LABRADOR RETRIEVER
Every puppy is unique and every puppy’s immune system develops gradually– with this vision ROYAL CANIN Labrador Retriever Puppy Food offers us a formula enriched with antioxidants – including the essential vitamin E – to help support it’s natural defences during this time. We owe a thanks to a specially adapted content of energy, protein, calcium and phosphorus that this meal has to offer.
The meal is suitable for dogs upto 15 months old.
The packet compromises of : Rice, dehydrated poultry protein, maize, vegetable protein isolate. maze gluten, animal fats, hydrolysed animal proteins,beet pulp. fish oil. vegetable fibres, psyturn husks and seeds, hydrolysed yeast, hydrolysed talcum , borage oil, marigold extract, hydrolysed cartilage.
- Nutritional benefits: enriched with protein, vitamin E, antioxidants promoting the overall development of your lab.
- Digestible: this palatable meal comes in kibble size which pups find easy to chew and digest. If your Labrador is a picky eater, Royal canine is the option you would want to consider.
As one of the review says:
“He loves the taste of this food. He has shown remarkable signs of growth. Even my vet was impressed with it. It also ensures a healthy digestion for the puppy. So if you want a good dog food then pls go for this one”
- Is Royal canin worth the money: The ingredients used in this dog foods are not as fancy as brands which share the same price tag since it uses controversial ingredients such as maize (corn), hydrolyzed animal protein, and animal by-products.
Although, royal Canine has a top brand reputation, it has left few customers unsatisfied.
Things To Remember While Feeding A Puppy
How much to feed a puppy?
A small puppy needs a lot of energy and nutrition compared to a grown up. Feeding them small but frequent meal is advisable so that your pup can easily digest the food. After they turn about 6 months the proportion can be increased and frequency can be altered.
At what time to feed?
Your pup’s first meal should be around 7 am, lunch at noon time, and the last meal should be around 5 pm.
What to avoid feeding a puppy?
Salt, heavy snacks, gum, candy, coffee, grapes and raisins, bones can be harmful not only for puppies but any dog.
Final Words On Best Puppy Food In India
Convincing your mom to get a dog is nothing compared to the struggles you face once you get a dog. It is a journey of it’s own. You will make mistakes before you finally excel in being a dog parent.
This article was just an attempt to ease your journey. I hope we were slight helpful in fading away your confusions related to feeding a new born pup.
We hope this article has presented you all the best puppy food in India and you will chose the perfect brand for your dog.