Top 12 Best Dog Food Brands In India 2021 – Unbiased & Detailed Review
This post may contain affiliate links. At no extra cost to you, we may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate PetScooby earns from qualifying purchases.
Being a dog parent isn’t a cake walk. When we decide to add an 80 pounds furry life to our family, we put ourselves into a puddle of responsibilities as to provide them the best lives we possibly can.
There are people who claim, “I treat my doggo like my kid. He bathes with me, sleeps with me, and eats whatever I eat“
And that’s what most of us are doing wrong! Feeding your dogs homemade food isn’t the best decision we make, considering there is so many better options available nowadays for Dog Food In India.
Should You Feed Your Dog Home Cooked Food?
While grocery shopping we pick our food wisely. We check the ingredients, the calories, the expiry, everything. If we’re particular about what nutrition goes into our system, the same should be for our doggo, isn’t it?
Home made food does not necessarily fulfills the nutritional requirement of your dog. Moreover, many human food items are not meant for dogs consumption and can be highly toxic for them. So, whats the solution? Two words.
Many dog owners have spoken how switching to dog food has not only resolved their dog’s digestive issues but has also moderated their overall growth. But first, let’s understand how exactly you should choose the best dog food for your dog.
3 Things To Consider While Buying Dog Food
1. Check The Ingredients
Feeding a dog is a tough business. You just can’t throw a bread infront of them and think you did your job. Even if you feed your dog the best dog food it won’t be beneficial unless you pick it wisely.
This goes without saying ALWAYS check the ingredients before buying a dog food. It is said that the key to buy the best dog food lies in the first five ingredients of the product. So, good luck with that.
2. Grain Or No Grain
Let me clear the air, it’s not advisable to feed your dog grains as it is often seen that most dogs are allergic to it. But if your dog isn’t one of them, you CAN feed them grains. Although, keep in mind too much of anything is bad. Grains can help your dogs in healthy bowel movement but excess of it like corns can put them at health risks.
3. The Breed Of Your Dog
Every dog is unique. The Nutritional requirements of a Pitbull is different from a Pomeranian. Keep that in mind before making a purchase.
Let’s have a look at some of the best dog food brands in India and help you make the right choice.
12 Best Dog Food In India (2021) – Top Brands Review
1. ORIJEN Dog Food
Orijen dog food is made by champion petfoods located in Canada. The company was founded in 1975 with their food selling across 60 countries. Orijen is not the typical average dog food.
This US based brand has to offer everything that your dog needs for their overall nourishment, and hence it safe to call it the queen of all dog food. Orijen comprises of high quality ingredients which is makes it a top tier product.
The first two ingredients are chicken and turkey. Third is a type of marine fish called flounder. The rest of the items are whole eggs, various organ meats like turkey liver and different types of legumes.
Item weight: 4.4 pounds
Item form: Dry
- Uses high quality ingredients: Orijen dog food is highly rich in protein. Most dog food doesn’t fulfills protein requirement of your pet that might often make them lethargic and dull. It uses fresh meat instead of frozen.
- Improves digestion: Many dog owners have seen drastic improvement in their dog’s digestion post feeding the product.
- Cures ailments: Helpful for small- medium breed, puppies prone to joint problems, or active pups. It also contributes in providing much healthier and shinier dog coat.
- Nice package: The impressive package acts as a cherry on cake.
- Might not suit every dog: We’ve talked about the high consistency of protein in the food. Dogs who are prone to less or no physical activity might not react well to it.
- It’s expensive: Royalty comes with a cost. So if you want to buy it, get ready spend a bag of money.
2. Acana Puppy & Junior Dog Food
While we are talking about royal brands how can we miss the famous Acana.
Acana is owned by champion petfoods who also produces the more expensive brand we have talked about Orijen. Since 1979, Acana has received numerous for their high quality products. This food brand provides dog and cat foods for “all life stages ” and also have select diet options plus products for different breed sizes.
This popular dog food brand is available in over 60 countries around the globe. Acana comprises of both grain -inclusive and grain- free options. They provide both dry kibble and treats which are a great training aid.
Talking about the ingredients, it consists of various kinds of meats, whole green peas, whole red lentils, beef -pork liver, fresh bison, oats.
Flavour: Fruit; Vegetable; Rice; Egg; Chicken
Item Form: Dry Item Weight: 6 Kilograms
- Biologically appropriate: One of the things that makes this product superior is it’s biologically appropriate formulation. Means it focus on providing dogs the kind of nutrition that their bodies are naturally designed to accommodate.
- High Nutritional value: After orijen acana provides the highest meat content (40-65%) . 60- 70% of product are made of premium quality animal ingredients. Doesn’t contain grains, glutens, potatoes or other highly starchy ingredients. Rich in oats.
- Rich in Protein: It provides high protein content but slightly less than orijen which makes it even better. It will suit sedentary dogs as well.
- Suits dogs of all life stages: It’s suitable for dogs of all age from puppies to grown ups. You can find dog food for all ages from puppies to adult ones.
- High price range: Again, opting for a high quality brand is going to be heavy on your budget.
3. Royal Canin Dog Food
When it comes to dog food Royal Canin being one of the oldest brand has it’s own reputation.
Royal Canin is a company that manufactures and supplies both cat and dog food and exports it to the international market. The company also undertakes research into the formulation and testing of breed and symptom specific nutritional requirements of dogs and cats.
Established by a French veterinary surgeon, this brand mainly takes care of the dietary requirements of pets based on their breed, size, lifestyle as well as age. This is what makes Royal Canin one of the prestigious pet food brands in the industry.
Royal Canin Maxi Adult caters to the needs of adult dogs and provides them a balanced diet. This food is suitable for large dogs aged 15 months and over and with weight ranging from 26-44 kg.
Maize, dehydrated poultry protein, maize flour, animal fats, dehydrated pork protein, hydrolysed animal proteins, beet pulp, maize gluten, minerals, fish oil, soya oil, yeasts, hydrolysed crustaceans are few ingredients contained in the pack.
Brand: Royal Canin
Item Weight: 1 kilogram
Age Range: Adult
- Nutritional benefits: it provides the right diet which is required to support large built dogs and help them gain and maintain a healthy weight.
- Easily digestible: The meal comes in the form of small kibbles which can be easily consumed and digested by dogs. Also, highly palatable.
- Recommended by vets: Foods that have gone through AAFCO feeding trials are considered the best. As Royal Canin is one of them that’s why it is often recommended by vets.
- Contains by-products: One thing that makes this brand slightly low in quality is it’s cheap fillers. Plus some of their ingredients like corn and rice serves no nutritional value.
- It’s still a recommended brand but fails to match the high standards set by brands like Orijen and Acana.
4. Himalaya Healthy Pet Food
Himalaya is a well renowned Indian company which produces health care products, and whose products include ayurvedic ingredients.
It is is one of the top indian dog food brand which adds an unique touch of natural herbs into it’s product.
Let’s admit it we all have used Himalaya products at some point so it already has some leverage over other dog food brands.
Healthy Pet food is a perfectly balanced food with over 20 nutrients, vitamins, and minerals, which provides a moderate balance of nutrition and is nourished with herbs like giloy and popala for additional health benefits for adult dogs.
More detailed ingredients include cereals, rice, chicken, poultry, meat, vegetable oil, maize, gluten, carrot, calcium phosphate, sodium chloride.
Brand: PetSutra Himalaya Healthy Pet Food
Flavour: Meat and rice
Item Weight: 11 kilograms
Age Range: Adult
- Nutritionally beneficial: It is blessed with herbs which is good for immunity. Ailanthus excelsa (Tree of heaven) one of it’s ingredients improves liver function & metabolism. Apart from that chicken- meat is a good source of protein.
- Reputated brand: Himalaya is an old trustable brand. The reputation it has makes this product acceptable in global markets.
- Good for sedentary dogs: If your tail wagger is not very active or sporty, then this product will suit them best
- Highly palatable: Doesn’t comprise in taste, hence, a delicious and healthy treat for your waggy pet.
- Cheap fillers: It contains meat by- products and fillers like corn which is not recommended to dogs. This is the main reason it lose customers and credibility.
- Not much recommended: It’s available in a reasonable price but it’s low quality ingredients have failed to impress many customers.
5. Hill’s Science Diet Dog Food
Science Diet is a brand of cat and dog foods marketed by Hill’s Pet Nutrition. They make scientifically-developed foods for the specific needs of healthy pets, like supporting mobility and joint health for dogs, helping cats prone to hairballs etc.
It emphasises on care for all shelter animals, hence, Hill’s Science Diet stands behind the distribution of food to shelters all over to help animals find their forever homes. These products that serves a beautiful purpose already has our hearts, and should be appreciated more often!
The packet consists of ingredients such as high-quality protein, folic acid, soybean oil, thiamine mononitrate. Contains wheat and corn too.
Brand: Hill’s Science Diet
Item Weight: 15 kilograms
Item Form: Dry
- Nutritionally beneficial . Hill’s Science Diet dry dog food provides natural sources of glucosamine and chondroitin, the building blocks for healthy joints and cartilage. It’s rich in omega 6s and vitamin E, hence promises healthier dog coat.
- Recommended by vets: As it follows the AAFCO guidelines it’s very much recommended by vets.
- Affordable price: It fulfills the nutritional requirement of your doggo at an affordable cost
- Designed for a specific purpose: The food was crafted to address certain nutritional deficiencies, specifically those often found in dogs suffering from renal failure. Many of their recipes are targeted at specific health conditions and are excellent foods for dogs with that specific condition. But it might not be as effective for normal healthy pets.
- Cheap fillers: The food is filled with fillers like wheat and corn. This may sometimes lead to digestive issues and often provide empty calories.
6. Arden Grange Dog Food
Arden Grange is a family run business that has been developing superior premium food for cats and dogs since 1996. It is famous for producing top notch pet food without compromising with the flavours. Their motto “nutrition without compromise” remains the heart of their products. Over the years, their popularity and reputation has grown rapidly over 30 countries.
Arden Grange adult with fresh chicken and rice is a complete, super premium pet food for normally active adult dogs. If your dog just like to slouch on the sofa with you, buy them this product.
Some of their ingredients are: chicken meat, rice, maize, chicken oil, beet pulp, fresh chicken, chicken digest, yeast, whole dried egg, linseed, fish meal, fish oil, prebiotic FOS, prebiotic MOS, cranberries, yucca extract, glucosamine, MSM, chondroitin, nucleotides.
It’s indeed a lot of nutrition for a 2 kg packet.
Brand: Arden Grange Adult
Item Weight: 2 kilograms
Item Form: Dry
- Health benefits: Arden Grange food contains antioxidants too which are known to reduce the chance of your pet developing some types of cancer or heart disease. High level of glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM helps to maintain strong joints and cartilage.
- Highly palatable: The meals formulated by Arden Grange are as rich in taste as they are in health. That’s very rarely found in a dog food. No matter how much great a dog food is, it goes into drain if your doggo refuses to eat it.
- Healthy plus digestible: The food comes in small kibbles which is easy to disest.
- Mixed opinions: it is actually quite a controversial dog food. Some manufacturers say that it’s a good fibre source while others say that it can cause stress on the liver and kidneys. Contains rice and corn which again is not the best for your pet dogs.
7. Farmina N&D Pumpkin Dog Food
Farmina is nature and science in perfect harmony with their mission to develop the best all-natural, nutritious, and scientifically validated food that both cats and dogs will love. They claim to mix and cook only the finest raw ingredients following strict guidelines set by nutritional experts.
Farmina also claims that their foods are better than their competitors’ foods because they use better quality protein without bone and their special Italian formula
This specific brand is a grain free food with high animal ingredients, pumpkin, and Vegetables. N&D pumpkin products are well integrated with fruits and vegetables such as pomegranate.
Apart from pumpkin flavour, it also comes in varities like ancestral grain, prime (with chicken pomegranate recipe) and many more.
This itself is sufficient to tell why Farmina is considered a supreme dog food.
Brand-:Farmina N&D Pumpkin
Item Weight: 2.5 kilograms
Item Form: Dry
Age Range: Adult
- High on nutrition: The high quality chicken is a great source of protein for dogs. The fruit and vegetables used has great antioxidant properties.
- Contains no fillers: That’s make farmina a likeable product as so many so called “best dog foods” are filled with cheap fillers.
- Highly palatable: It comes in a great flavour. If your dog is bored eating the same bland food, it’s time for a switch!
- Follows AAFCO guidelines: This is yet another plus point. Each ingredient is scientifically tested, hence, suitable for dog’s consumption.
- Unsatisfactory packaging: The product gets spoiled easily and many customers have reported about it. Still it is considered a far better product than the very popular brand Royal Canin. Surprising, right?
8. Taste Of The Wild Dog Food
Taste of the Wild is a high-quality, affordable dog food with protein sources that are based on your pet’s natural diet. In every formula, the first ingredient is from real meat, fish or fowl. They use unique proteins like wild boar, bison, smoked salmon, roasted duck, venison and Angus beef to make better-tasting dog and cat foods your pet will crave.
Taste of the wild is designed specially to provide necessary nutrients to adult dogs. So if you have a grown up canine friend at home, then you know exactly what he needs.
Salmon is number one ingredient used in the meal. Second being dried chicory root. Other includes vegetables, legumes and fruits, including sweet potatoes, peas, tomatoes, blueberries and raspberries to provide nutrients that help support your dog’s growth.
Undoubtedly, that’s an fancy list of ingredients that deserves your attention.
Brand: Heads up for tails (TOTW)
Flavour: Duck, chicken, Vegetable
Item Weight: 13 kg
Item Form: Dry
Age Range: Adult
- Biologically appropriate: As the name suggests Taste Of The Wild provides ingredients which dogs finds in their natural inhabitants. Hence it suits dogs and it’s good for their digestive system.
- No grain formula: it does not contains corn, rice or gluten. This makes it better than brands like cheap fillers dog food.
- Egg free formula: Does not contains eggs which makes it suitable for dogs with sensitive stomach.
- Slightly costly: Since it’s better than many brands like purina, makes it a bit expensive. Still cheaper than queen brand Orijen.
- Not enough moisture: If your dogs needs enough moisture then this product alone fails to provide it. So combine it with wet meals to keep the moderation.
- History of recalls: Diamond pet food (The company that manufacturers TOTW) holds a history of recalls. That might be matter of concern for many.
9. Purina Supercoat Dog Food
SUPERCOAT is developed by Nestlé Purina experts with 120 years of expertise in pet nutrition. It provides nutrition with precise combination of quality natural ingredients to cater to the needs of dogs both internal and external.
Purina super coat is believed to a number one product in Australian market.
Let’s take a glimpse at the ingredients: cereal and cereal products(Wheat, Rice bran, Corn), chicken and chicken products, vitamins and minerals, invert syrup, soluble fibre, dehydrated fish protein and milk solids.
Item Weight: 8000 grams
Item Form: Dry
Age Range: Adult
- Shiny coat: As the name suggests, Purina Supercoat contains omega 3 and 6 fatty acids that promotes healthy and shinier coat.
- Good on tastebud: Your furry friend is surely going to enjoy this meal. As far as taste is considered this product is often recommended.
- Contains fillers: As mentioned in the ingredients it contains corn, rice and other cereal by-products which may cause allergies in some dogs.
- Source of animal protein not mentioned: They have nowhere mentioned where they resource animal meat and protein from.
- Lawsuit filed: The brand has been recalled and it was a big one. Besides that many customers have expressed their dissatisfaction against the food as it has lead to an episode of diarrhoea and stomach upset.
- Not the best: Unfortunately, there’s not much to endorse about it. Better products are available at the same price.
10. Drools Dog Food
Drools is not a foreign name in the dog food market. Drools is an Indian company which focuses on providing outstanding quality food. Hence, their team of nutritionists and veterinarians have ensured and created a quality food that is specific to the growing needs of pets.
Drools intends to fulfil nutritional requirement of dogs and it widely accepted by dogs of every kind.
It contains chicken, whole dried eggs, long gram rice, oats, fish oil, and other natural chemicals and vitamins.
Item Weight: 4200 grams
Item Form: Raw, dry, pellets
Age Range: Adult
- Health benefits: Uses real chicken which is a great source of protein. Optimal level of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids ensures shiny and healthy dog coat.
- Cost effective: Loved by many dogs, this product is available at customer friendly rate.
- Undesirable content: It contains gram rice which is used as an alternative and leads to obesity and other health problems.
- Average product: It not the worst product, but not the best either. If you really care for you pet and ready to put in the money, opt for another brand
11. Pedigree Dog Food
Pedigree Petfoods is a subsidiary of the American group Mars inc. specialized in pet food, with factories in England. It claims to work hard to develop products that helps dog live happily and healthy. Anyone who says they’ve not heard of pedigree before is probably lying. Their popularity is insane at Indian markets.
Pedigree Adult dog food provides a complete balanced meal which makes it a great choice for dogs. It is considered an ideal product for Pugs, Beagles, Golden Retriever and German Shepherd.
This yellow shiny packet consists of chicken, cereals, meat , vegetables and by products, iodised salt, essential vitamins and minerals and so on. As mentioned earlier a “balanced meal“
Item Weight: 10 kilograms
Item Form: Dry
Age Range: Adult
- Health benefits: The product contains vegetable oils for healthy skin and coat. Many dog owners have reported positive sign in their dog after feeding the food.
- Widely accepted by dogs: The meal is dog friendly and often well received by them
- Popular choice: It has been actively used by many dog parents and is still very much in demand.
- Average: Unfortunately, with so many great products available in market it’s not often recommended and have a reputation of using low quality ingredients. It is considered inferior to products like Royal Canin, even Drools.
12. Chappi Dog Food
Chappi is yet another common dog food brand. You can call it the twin sister of pedigree as both the product offers nutritious meal at considerably low price. Chappi is owned by Mars inc. It is developed by vet and nutritionist at Waltham Centre; world’s leading authority on pet care and nutrition It is one of the oldest and trusted dog food brand.
Chappi is a complete balanced food for adult dogs. It’s very much suitable for Pugs, Beagles, Golden Retriever, German Shepherd.
It uses whole grain maize and wheat, starch, cereal and cereal by products. Also has essential minerals and fatty acids.
Flavour: Chicken, Rice
Item Weight: 20 kilograms
Item Form: Dry
Age Range: Adult
- Health benefits: The ingredients are rich in protein and low on fat, and contains a mixture of polyunsaturated fatty acids.
- Common among masses: Just like Pedigree, Chappi has it’s own bunch of lovers and it’s desirable in the market.
- Affordable price: As it’s tagline mentions, “Heavy on nutrition, light on pocket.”
- Do I need to say more?
- Contains meat by-products: The product uses meat derivatives. Though the brand claims it uses real meat as well, the proportion is still unclear.
- Low protein: Contains low protein as compared to other dog foods, on the other hand it’s rich in carbs which may lead to obesity and other health issues.
- Low in quality: It is still a edible and a safe meal but your dog deserves better.
Finding the best dog food in India can be an exhausting task as there are so many brands advertising themselves as the best. So, it all comes down to you, you will have to do the research and choose what suits yout dog the most.
With that being said, no dog food is bad if it suits your dog. So, make sure that you go through all the details & reviews about the dog food brands and then go for what seems the best one.
We hope that our detailed article on best dog food in India has helped you to gain the knowledge you were seeking.
Till then keep exploring.
Love your dogs. Also, hug them more often.